Friday, January 11, 2008

Week 9: Podcasts, Video & Downloadable Audio

#20. Videos:
YouTube has a rather humorous video, the "Gorilla Librarian,"
URL: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukJmF6f0JdQ

I like the ease of finding videos. It is rather time-consuming to look at them to find something worthwhile. I tend to think of this as something helpful to a youth librarian, but I know that having accessibility to many videos could be helpful in teaching and perhaps for a library website.

Yahoo, Google & others also have video sites.

#21. Podcasts:
Some require software downloads (like iTunes). Others do not require a download such as:
Podcast.net, Podcastalley.com; Yahoo podcasts -- Audio search (http://audio.search.yahoo.com/audio)

I looked at these and added a RSS feed to a music podcast to my Bloglines account. This could be interesting to have podcasts with music and other items on one page. I know that podcasts could be useful in teaching so this is something to explore further.

#22. ebook, audiobooks:
I've found ebooks and audiobooks to be very helpful. Lately, I especially encourage my students to use the table of contents and bibliographies of e-books when they cannot make it into the library.

Project Gutenberg is fascinating, but I still don't want to read a full book online. I have occasionally been able to find and cite a quotation I wanted by using online books from the library such as Walden by Thoreau.

#23. Summary

This Learning 2.0 has been an interesting challenge. I am a little more familiar now with some of the tech tools than I was before. However, I think that the most useful thing is to be aware of some of the technology that might be helpful in the library and then to try some of it. The tools change frequently, so much of the details will have to be learned with the particular tool that is used. For example, Meebo has been an interesting tool in the library, and it requires some skills that may not be transferable to other devices.

Overall, I think it is important to keep up-to-date with possible library technology tools and then to try some of them, especially as our patrons request those tools. I think it is important to continually question patrons about what they would like to see in the library and on our web site including technology tools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.