Friday, January 11, 2008

Week 7: Wikis

#16. It was interesting to look at some of the ways libraries are using wikis. I wonder if there is a lot of time spent keeping these up-to-date. It could be helpful to have wikis for discussions of books, among other things. I noticed on the "Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki," it says: "Because of vandalism problems, e-mail confirmation is now required." That must be frustrating to have to deal with vandalism. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to open access.

(Notes)
To make a Wiki:
1st step: choose software and configure Wiki.

Wiki farms: easy to set up; don't need server; less control

DIY wikis: need server; not too difficult; more control

2nd step: Protect wiki from spam

3rd step: add content; encourage use

#17.
I looked at the Learning 2.0 wiki and explored sites such as Favorite TV shows. Then, I added my blog to the Favorite Blogs page.

Since I spend time telling students that they should not cite "Wikipedia" in their scholarly papers, I've learned that the open accessibility of a wiki can be both a benefit and a detriment. I like the idea of using wikis in the library between groups such as our academic teams. Wikis are quite easy to use, and I like the collaborative options.

No comments: